Griffin’s
This aerated and rather temporary concoction is The Fall of the House of Usher turned into a novel-length Gothic-y YA yarn. As such it’s all about the mood; Madeline Usher, our point-of-access beautiful, doomed young heroine, wakes up inside a coffin (‘tears wet my cheeks. I cannot breathe. I cannot breath. Blood trickles down my fingernails and I am choking’ [3]) as per Poe’s original story. Indeed, without a knowledge of this original text it seems to me this rather oddly structured tale wouldn’t make a great deal of sense. The problem is, with that knowledge, it feels a little redundant: why do we need this novelisation, when we have the original? Griffin mixes the timeline up (chapters are all named after Madeline’s age, and hop about: ‘Madeline is sixteen’, ‘Madeline is nine’, ‘Madeline is seventeen’ and so on); but the novel drags its heels. Its stacked, black, vinyl heels. The whole is 420 pages long, and could easily have lost 200 or more from the middle without missing them. But, sure: the rather repetitive plotting isn’t the point. The mood is the point. I readily concede that sour middle-aged male university professors are not the target audience for this book. The most I will say is that I tried, when reading, to unlock my inner emo teenage girl, and failed. On the plus side, props to Griffin for actually opening her novel with ‘It was a dark and stormy night’. (Strictly speaking, this is the start of chapter 2; but that’s close enough for government work, especially since chapter 1 reads like a kind of prologue):
Wind and rain, lightning and thunder, a storm throws itself against the House of Usher, rattling every window, including mine. Thunder pounds the earth and the house groans. [5]And so on: the whole is written in this rather gnashing manner throughout (it’s less fruity than Poe’s prose, though; which is a good thing. Although more fruity than Poe would be hard to achieve. He is the fruitiest of the fruity. Hence—the cream.)
There ought to be a name for the—I think, genuinely recent—cultural logic by which a short, powerful text is expanded into a longer mode, because ‘we’ respect length in a way we don’t brevity. I’m thinking of things like: the, we can agree, dreadful, movie version of The Cat in the Hat; or the many famous short stories (‘We Can Remember It For You Wholesale’ pops into my head) made into lengthy movies, and often then translated back into lengthy prose form as ‘novelisations’ of the original movie. What would we call this, I wonder? And what does it say about us? One thing that strikes me is that this cultural-evaluative bias towards length (‘epic’ as a term of praise, and so on) is happening at a time when or attention spans are supposed to be getting shorter, when our online reading is supposed to be shaped by a twitter-esque logic of tl;dr. What’s up with that?

Total Recall (the original Total Recall, ye gods) is a fine film, but "WCRIFYW"... I loved that story, and I'm not sure that's emphatic enough. So many of sf's greatest and most powerful achievements are short stories. Perhaps they're just too powerful - there's an urge to neutralise them, make them sane and safe, by bulking them out with pages and pages of... stuff. (That could certainly apply to "TFOTHOU" - I remember the moment when I first realised that Poe was writing about an actual house which was actually going to fall. "I'm in the hands of a madman!" I thought. And I read on.)
ReplyDeleteThe contrast you draw in the last bit reminds me of Christopher Priest's famous put-down of Charlie Stross - "he writes like an Internet puppy". It's accurate enough to make me smile every time I remember it. And yet Charlie writes the longest of long-form sf, the multi-volume saga. What, indeed, is up with that?
That's exactly right, re: reading the Poe story!
ReplyDeleteBlogpost corrected 20th Oct. Over on Facebook, Gary Couzens pointed out my error: 'Adam, it's Bethany Griffin's fourth novel, not her third - her first was Handcuffs (2008). I've read it - it's non-fantasy YA'
ReplyDeleteI love Griffin's books and just got this from edelweiss, and i am plain and simple your review has interested me. Lets hope I like it.
ReplyDeleteView this site for Indianapolis Web Design
I'm generally not a fan of horror books, except when it comes to Gothic classics. And so The Fall was a pleasant surprise. I liked the slow creepiness of the story and the bite-sized chapters. I liked the world building of the House and that the House was the world. This is one of the few books I've read recently that I would actually go back and read again.
ReplyDelete