I have spread myself across a large number of blogs over the years, and it has it has not been the most efficient use of my time and energies. I should consolidate. To that end I'm going to take some of my other blogs private. In the case of blogs that have run their course anyway, such as my H G Wells blog, my Anthony Burgess read-through or my translation of Vida's Christiad, I might as well leave them publicly accessible (it's not as if many people access them, anyway). But with my various other blogs, I will take them offline.
This blog has been where I (mostly) posted science-fiction-y stuff. Elsewhere is my Morphosis blog, which used to be literature and related stuff, but which has, latterly, functioned as a kind-of Author Website, announcing my publications and so on. Then there's my Notebook on Medium. I've been posting stuff there for a while sometimes quite substantial pieces, original work, essays, reviews of things, some creative work; but I can't say Ive been impressed with Medium as a platform. The interface is limited, in terms of layout and posting, glitchy, and I have not been able to monetize my writing. One must accrue a large number of followers before it becomes possible to do this, and my appeal is too niche and limited to do so. Really what Medium wants is accounts with millions of followers: posting about Taylor Swift or One Weird Tricks or whatever. That's not me.
Since starting Substack-ships I have already received a number of paying subscribers, along with larger number of free subscribers. My aim will be to post about two third free-for-all to one third subscriber-only posts, and by bundling into one place my various interests—SF, literature, poetry, culture, reviews of stuff, this and that—I will be making something of a mixed cassoulet. But there you go.

You could subscribe, if you like!
ReplyDeleteMonetising the blogosphere is a very bad thing and should only be tolerated where the blogger has no other way to keep body and soul together while also blogging; anyone who has a regular income and sufficient spare time to write and research what goes into their blog should not go down that route, and I don't care what all the other kids are doing. So it's a definite No from me, although I will add the toll-free version to my RSS feed, assuming Substack supports that.
Sorry, Adam is morally required to give away his work for free because...go on, end that sentence for me.
Delete...because the blogosphere is (was) a good thing, and monetising it is a very bad thing. It's not rocket salad.
DeleteDone - apparently Substack does play nicely with RSS. More nicely, if anything, than with plain old http: if I open a post from Brief, I can read it in 'reader' mode, which isn't available if I go into a post from the Substack front page. Odd.
ReplyDelete