Monday, 29 August 2022

Arthur C Clarke Award 2022: Shortlist Roundup

 


The shortlist for the 2022 Arthur C Clarke Award has been revealed. The winner will be announced on the 26th October at a gala Science Museum event in Kensington. Back in the day (remember the day? Ah, what gay old quotidian times we had!) I used to do a round-up review of the Clarke Award shortlist. But it’s been a long time since anyone has commissioned such a piece from me, for I’m sure highly valid reasons, and this post is less a proper review of the shortlist and more a set of links to other places, mostly blogposts, where I happen to have reviewed the individual titles.

Harry Josephine Giles, A Deep Wheel Called Orcadia

Kazuo Ishiguro, A Klara Called Sun

Arkady Martine, A Desolation Called Peace

Courttia Newland A River Called Time

Mercurio D Rivera, Wergen: an Alien Called Love War

Aliya Whiteley, An Inn Called Skyward.

As you'll see, if you have the patience to click-through those links, and going from worst to best: I thought the Newland, for all its energy and engagement, sloppily made and often bizarrely, even badly, written (re-reading it now, that review is rather more forgiving than might be the case if I wrote it today).  Ishiguro's Klara and the Sun is hard to judge: in one sense, it's classic Ishiguro touching on his perennial themes and as carefully rendered as anything he has done; in another sense it's just really quite bad, incoherent, patchy, miss-more-than-hit, cheesy, askew. Riviera's Wergen is an OK, middle-of-the-space-road fix-up about aliens and humans interacting, neither a very bad nor especially a good book. Martine's Desolation Called Peace is again OK, though a step-down from the previous volume in her series. Giles's Deep Wheel Orcadia is rather better, a poem written in synthetic Scots (I don't say ‘synthetic’ dismissively) with a Joycean ‘English’ translation running underneath, about a space station. The verse achieves some nice effects, though not in an altogether sustained way, and the story itself is a touch pat. But it's good. Still, far and away the best title on this list is Whiteley's powerful, unsettling and penetrating Skyward Inn, a very remarkable piece of writing.

It’s not, overall, a very strong shortlist, especially set against the wealth of books published last year—only one of these titles (the Whiteley) really deserves to be here, I think. But part of the function of a list like this is to provoke discussion and debate, to get people reading SF widely and talking about it and all that. We might argue that a contentious shortlist is more provoking and therefore better at this task than an actual list of the six best SF novels published in a given year. In which case: hats off to the judges. This is a contentious list, contending against value, assessment and in some cases common sense. It manifests a narrow set of repeating fascinations—fully half these titles are about blandly complacent creatures (aliens, robots) under the careless or cruel treatment of humanity. Most construe the relationship between their story-location, a peripheral or parochial space, and some imperial or quasi-imperial ‘centre’. I’m not suggesting these things aren’t important, but there are other things SF can be about, and the narrowness of thematic focus in this list feels a bit pinching, a reflection of the judges' personal crotchets rather than a reflection of where genre is more broadly, at the moment.

Of course, me saying so may merely reflect my own personal crotchets. We all have them. I didn’t find much to love in last year’s Clarke Shortlist, I’ll be honest (are any of those books still a lively part of today's genre conversations? Were they really the best books published in 2020?):and this year I was surprised at the number of big hitters (Monica Byrne’s The Actual Star, Tade Thompson’s From the Light of Heaven, Adrian Tchaikovsky’s Shards of Earth, Nnedi Okorafor’s Remote Control, Ada Palmer’s Perhaps The Stars and Richard Powers’s Bewilderment to name only the most obvious half dozen) overlooked ... less surprised by the absence of titles like Alice Albina’s Cwen, Qiouyi Lu’s In The Watchful City or J O Morgan’s The Appliance (though all three are better than most of what has been shortlisted here).

But railing against the judgment of the Clarke award, though a pastime with honourable and indeed Priestian heritage, is not my purpose here. Rather I’m jotting a few more overview-y thoughts. How does the prize stand up on longer timescales? What’s its hit rate, looking back across its three and a half decades of life? What has it got right and, more importantly, what has it missed? On the latter point I should say, incidentally, I’m not here to argue that it has missed me. I’ve never won the Clarke, and don’t now expect to, but I have been shortlisted three times (the last time in 2010), which is probably more than I deserve, and it would be both wrongheaded and otiose to suggest the award needs to reward more straight white US/UK blokes. On the contrary, it has pretty much tracked the larger current of SF across the 21st century, in which the genre-primacy of straight white US/UK blokes has given way to a much more diverse and exciting spread of women writers, writers of colour, queer writers, international writers, iterations of the expressive and eloquent encounter with difference that defines the genre as such. The last all-male shortlist was 2013, the last all-white shortlist 2015, and I don’t expect either eventuality to reoccur again as the prize moves forward. Or at least I would hope not.

That said, looking back over the award’s various shortlists, it’s hard not to notice blindspots in the judge’s judgments. For instance: how can it be that the Clarke has never shortlisted a tie-in franchise novel, a Star Trek-, Star Wars- or Alien-universe title? Many such books are rubbish, of course, but many are good and some are very good, which is what we should expect given that some extremely talented writers—Una McCormack, Pat Cadigan, Diane Duane, Ian Watson—have written them. Hard to shake the sense that the mode is considered infra dig by many, a dalit-style untouchability that strikes an unpleasantly ironic note within our prickly ‘why won’t the literary establishment take our beloved SF seriously?’ self-defensive culture. Writing a good tie-in franchise novel is a very exacting technical challenge, balancing prodigies of backstory and lore, with very specific and tight franchise parameters, and yet telling an exciting, well-characterised, imaginative story of your own. I really don’t see why the best examples of the mode aren’t ever noticed by the Clarke.

Similarly YA: This is a strange omission indeed: YA is not only huge, varied and full of wonderful writing; it has been arguably the key cultural idiom of the early decades of the 21st-century. The last (and, I think, only) time the Clarke listed a YA title was Steve Baxter’s The H-Bomb Girl, all the way back in 2008 [update/correction: over on twitter it is pointed out to me that Patrick Ness's Monsters of Men was shortlisted in 2011, James Smythe's Way Down Dark in 2016, and Patience Agbabi's The Infinite last year, and are all YA or more precisely two are YAs and one a middle-grade title. This considerably dilutes my point, I have to concede; although I don't know if it entirely demolishes it]. YA fantasy, YA dystopia and on occasion YA science fiction have provided some of the key works of the last twenty years, and it just looks odd that the Clarke tends, broadly, to overlook the mode. I could say the same thing about the Booker, but there my expectations are lower.

7 comments:

  1. Can you name a tie-in novel published in the last ten years and submitted to the Clarke that should have been shortlisted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never judged the Clarke, but over on fb Paul March-Russell tells me "the Clarke doesn’t accept books linked to franchises because it would be deluged", so I suppose I'd have to answer the last portion of your question with "no". Unless your query was actually a roundabout way of saying "no tie-in novel is of the calibre needful to merit Clarke shortlisting"? Maybe so: I've read some, but I'm not a true afficionado of the form. Although I wonder if we might want to argue that some novelisations have been *notable* in various ways: the original "Star Wars" novel made an impact (published as by George Lucas, though of course actually by Alan Dean Foster: I also remember Foster's follow-up "Splinter in the Mind's Eye" as good, though v different to where the film series then went. Foster's "Alien" novelisation is good too I think). Otherwise, what might we say? Ian Watson's "Warhammer 40,000" novels are great, in a mad way; and Dan Abnett, who has written many Warhammer novels, is a really talented writer. I remember being really struck by Diane Duane's "Spock's World". Ben Aaronovitch began his career with some highly regarded Doctor Who novelisations. But if, as per the second part of your question, you're insisting on a ten-year cut-off, then maybe: Moffat’s "The Day of the Doctor" (much better than his TV scripts), Una McCormack’s Trek "The Fall, The Crimson Shadow", Al Reynold’s "Doctor Who: Harvest of Time" and Pat Cadigan & William Gibson’s "Alien 3" novelisation.

      Delete
    2. I might add that though I've never judged the Clarke I *have* judged the Kitschies, more than once, and that award allows tie-in novelisations to be submitted (along with self-pubs, e-book-onlies and so on) and I really wouldn't say that we were "deluged". But as I replied to Paul, if them's the Clarke's rules, then them's their rules. It's up to them how they draw their remit.

      Delete
    3. Adam: If you had judged the Clarke Award, you would know that they are deluged _now_, even if they exclude media tie-in novels. So the "risk of being deluged" excuse is pretty flimsy.

      Delete
    4. Perhaps Paul is right; I can't see the eligibility criteria online. However a) the Clarke certainly used to allow it (Eve: The Empyrean Age by Tony Gonzales was submitted in 2009) and b) avoiding 'deluging' doesn't seem to square with the fact that submissions were opened to self-published novels and ebooks only in 2016 (ie same as the Kitschies). That part of my question wasn't intended to be roundabout, just based on the assumption that submissions are open and it is up to publishers to submit. Perhaps, as Paul, says, I was wrong and this has changed.

      The main part of my question was what are the really good recent tie-in books that deserve to be shortlisted for the Clarke so thank you for the titles. Have you read Cadigan's Alien 3 book? Do you really think it is worth shortlisting for the Clarke? I have and I don't. But my assumption is also that Titan should be able to submit it for the judges to consider so if that is not the case then that is a shame. I haven't read any of the other three but I have read Watson's Inquisitor which is great and published 30 years ago. Was this submitted to the Clarke? Does Paul Kincaid have a notebook somewhere?

      Notably all of those writers are most famous for other things. Dan Abnett might be the best candidate for someone exclusively writing tie-in fiction and his books are certainly as good as 60% of the stuff submitted to the Clarke. I note you don't suggest an actual title that might be shortlistable though. All of which suggests there are a very small number of tie-in titles (one every 5 years or so?) that might conceivably hold their own against the shortlists in any given year which doesn't support this level of hyperbole, "Hard to shake the sense that the mode is considered infra dig by many, a dalit-style untouchability that strikes an unpleasantly ironic note within our prickly ‘why won’t the literary establishment take our beloved SF seriously?’ self-defensive culture", or even the weaker contention of it being an award blindspot.

      Delete
    5. We can disagree as to the quality of Pat Cadigan's Alien novel obviously, but it seems to me the point is that she is a writer who has twice won the Clarke -- twice! a very rare accomplishment. A quote-unquote "regular" novel by her would automatically be in the Clarke discussion zone, and this one wasn't only because it was a tie-in. My reading of Clarke-y shortlists over the years has not been 100% but I have read a lot of really quite low-calibre work; and though like you I don't read a lot of tie-ins, when I do (for instance, bc a friend has written one) I'm often pleasantly surprised by just how good they are.

      Delete
  2. I don't know if Titan submitted it (though they should have) but Alien 3, written by Pat Cadigan (a two-time winner of the Clarke) based on an original script by William Gibson, should have been. In any case, not short-listed, probably for all the reasons Adam Roberts suggests. Of course, I am rather biased about Pat Cadigan's work, for obvious reasons. I leave it to Adam to judge whether it should have been shortlisted (if submitted). Your comment, Martin, would have been a lot cleverer than you obviously think it is, had you said "three tie-in novels" and not just one. Finding one in ten years is easy; finding three is a bit trickier.

    ReplyDelete